Friday, December 3, 2010

How to build your own attic fan...from an old furnace.

I recently finished replacing my entire HVAC system.  After I was all finished with the install I had a few things left over,  It bieng summertime I figured an attic fan for the garage would be smart. 

I started by stripping down the unit. I removed the heat exchanger, blowers, and everything that was not the frame.

 Then I removed the top of the unt where the heat exchanger used to live.  At this point I cut out a hole in the bottom of the unit 1/2" smaller than the air cleaner box. The unit used to take in air from the side, so I used a chunk of the scrap steel from the top of the unit to cover the hole.
 Next, comes the fabrication of the small chunk of duct work from the air cleaner grill/filter holder to the unit mounted above the rafters.

 After cutting out the hole for the aircleaner I mounted the blower above the rafters, and caulked the aircleaner to the bottom of the blower enclosure.
 Wiring the blower to a switch installed in the garage was next.

The blower/attic fan installed in its final position.  
Adding the filter and closing up the intake.

No comments:

Post a Comment